In 1877 the streets of Orange were illuminated by gas. By 1914 there were 80 gas street lamps. Every evening lamplighters would travel 29 kilometres on horseback to ignite the lamps, returning at midnight to extinguish them. Then came electricity, and on 8 January 1923 the first electricity post was put in place on the corner of Anson and Byng Streets.
A sign to commemorate this historic event was unveiled recently by Essential Energy CEO Mr John Cleland and Deputy Mayor Cr Gerald Power and we felt privileged to be there. Congratulations to all involved.
Text and image: Central West Museums / Orange City Council